Skip to main content

SURVIVING SENIOR YEAR OF COLLEGE


Now that it is February, and I am only a few short weeks away from graduating college, I realized what is and is not important when going through college. I also, realized how awful, but manageable capstone is. Since every underclassman worries about their senior year and what they plan on doing after, I felt I could give some tips and advice to help you through your senior year.

Senior year can be stressful enough by itself! During your senior year of college, you are expected to do so much, including finding a job. So, my first tip is to not stress over your grades. This does not mean to fail all your classes but realizing that grades do not mean everything will benefit you a lot in the long run.

Capstone will take over your life but is manageable. During my freshman year of college, I remember hearing about the horrors of capstone and how it was a nightmare. Now that I am in my last semester of capstone, I realized that the main reason so many people have problems with capstone, is not because of the large amount of work, but because their groups do not work together well.  I am lucky enough to be in a group that works together well. We work well together because we know how to compromise and listen to others in the group. I would suggest listening to others, even when their ideas do not align with yours. Most teams start to fight when someone does not do their work, or the group does not know how to listen or compromise.

Lastly, I feel like many seniors get overly stressed about finding their dream job right out of college. One thing I have learned from recent graduates, is that you will likely change jobs and that is okay. So many people think that they need to know exactly what they want to do right out of college, but you will likely not know until you have gained some work experience and found what you love.

So, the moral of the story is to not stress the little things and enjoy your senior year!

Comments

  1. I love the tips you gave about surviving senior year. I was in your same boat freshman year where everyone talked about how bad capstone was. After reading your blog, I feel much better about it. I bet you're getting so excited and anxious to graduate this May. Congrats on (almost) making it through college, Lydia!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am only a sophomore but it is good advice and a good reminder to manage your time. I am always stressed about my plans for after college. I try to just go by the flow and not let stress overrun my life. I hope the rest of your senior year goes well!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Using Social Media to Find Gluten Free Recipes

Being gluten free can be difficult as it is, so why struggle to find things to make or eat. One of the most challenging things about being gluten free is finding a place to go out to eat at. Therefore, I often decide to stay in and make my own meal. Luckily, there are so many gluten free baking blogs and accounts on Instagram and other site, that it makes making your own meal so much easier. The thing about baking gluten free is that gluten free flour does not have the same elasticity as flour with gluten. When you look at a gluten free recipe you will likely see Xanthium Gum or other additives that create the elasticity, so your bread does not crumble as easily. Recently, companies have started to make gluten free flour that you can replace regular flour with one-to-one. This make a world of difference when you are converting a recipe to gluten free. I follow quite a few gluten free baking accounts on social media. Below I have compiled a list of my favorite accounts to find g

ALUMNI BASKETBALL GAME AT BUCKEYE CENTRAL HIGH SCHOOL

On Feb. 24 th , I live-tweeted the boys alumni basketball game. There were two teams playing. Since the players only play for fun, they do not have actual team names. Instead they wore red and white shirts to distinguish themselves. I referred to the teams based on their shirt color throughout my tweets. The game was held at Buckeye Central High School in their gym.   It was a close game for most of the game, with lots of back-and-forth. The final score was 86 to 82, with the red team coming out on top! Both teams did an excellent job and had a great game! Congratulations to the Red Team! You can check out my live tweet by searching #AlumniBBall2020 on twitter or by following me on twitter @Lydia74353175.

TRAINING TO RUN A 5K

Running use to be something I always enjoyed doing. I was in cross-country, track, and always liked the conditioning part of basketball. Even after I was out of sports, I continued to run consistently up until last year. I am not sure why I stopped running I just ended up not running anymore. So, since my classes are all online now, I have no more excuses to not run. In order to keep motivated, I am running with my sister Paige and we set a goal that we want to complete a 5K without walking. Since we do not know when the next 5K will be because of COVID-19, we decided we would have our own 5K on May 1 st . We are training five days a week, Monday through Friday. We also made challenges for different days of the week, so we continue to challenge ourselves. One of our challenges is that we run as far as we can in one direction without walking. Then we are forced to either walk or run all the way back. This is something my coach use to do when I was in cross country, so that we